Friday, November 5, 2010

What's on your mind

So after surviving below freezing temps and during a 6 hr hike what do you think about "Well here's the List"
1. Who did I piss off and I already answered my thoughts on that one
2. I will never go any where without my spot again! In my mind I wrote it on the chalk board a 100 times.
3. Should of had my emergency box in the car. I always included sleeping bags emergency blanket food and water, but you think of allot more things during a 6 hr hike, like flares a flare would of ended our freezing night when the searchers got close but couldn't see us because we were down in a gully. I bought those today. Some one told me of Sterno and a coffee can puts out alot of heat. an extra phone battery and I have one somewhere in case you come to a place with service and no battery. and now that I have my spot/gps extra batteries for that. They now make those hand warmers in feet and whole body size that last 9 to 18 hrs( bought about 6 each today) For someone who have been stuck overnight before and was quite prepared than I"m ashamed that I wasn't now. I made promises to myself that I would live my life better and wondered if he was looking out for me where was he. Mind you this was the canyon that he loved and wanted his ashes spread to he could overlook it. IF anyone has more ideas of what should go in an emergency box please share. Stay tune for Part 4 the rescue

1 comment:

  1. I have put in dry socks (Dad always said you needed a spare set of socks)snow boots and warm gloves. We don't always hop into our cars, even those we keep in the city, prepared to walk away. And yes, even on a freeway shit happens - like a major blizzard and the snow plows cannot get to you. Trust me 3 inch heels are not good in such situations.

    And I put in a heavy equipment belt and some of those fancy clips so I can carry out water bottles and flashlight on my hips and not in my hands.

    And energy bars. The body in freezing temperatures needs fuel.

    ReplyDelete